Coati Kids Club Special Events for 2014
Mark your calendars now for these fun events! And as always, we'll send you an invitation before each one.
- Tucson Wildlife Center Tour: Saturday, February 1, 11:00 a.m. - 12 p.m., 13275 E Speedway Blvd.
- Who takes care of injured, sick, or orphaned wild animals? Wildlife rehabilitators do. Tucson Wildlife Center rescues large birds and mammals, helps them heal, and releases them back to the wild whenever possible. Learn about their important work in this special tour. Bring a sack lunch and take a hike together in Saguaro National Park afterwards!
- Saving Species: Saturday, March 8, 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- Sometimes animal or plant species become threatened or endangered, and people need to help so they do not disappear. The good news is, we can! We'll explore species survival success stories and how zoos like the Desert Museum — and people like you — can help.
- Ravin' About Raptors: Saturday, April 26, 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- From October to April, our Raptor Free Flight hawks, falcons, owls, and more have been wowing huge crowds with their incredible aerial maneuvers. The season just ended for the public. But in this special behind-the-scenes encounter, our Raptor Free Flight trainers will show us how they work with these amazing animals. We'll meet and compare some of the unique birds of prey of our region.
- Adapting to Aridity: Saturday, June 14, 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- It's the time of year when we humans retreat to the air conditioning and seek swimming pools. But who ever saw a coyote doing the back stroke? We'll investigate the fascinating adaptations that help animals and plants survive the heat and dry conditions that challenge life in the desert.
- Desert Music: Saturday, August 16, 5 - 6:30 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- Jam to the sounds of the desert with special guest Axhel Muñoz of Pima County Natural Resources, Parks, and Recreation. Learn how to make your own musical instruments out of recycled materials. Then encounter more desert music at our Cool Summer Nights Desert Harmony events.
- Rockin' Rodents: Saturday, September 20, 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- There are more rodent species than any other kinds of mammals on the planet. Uncover the gnawing secrets of these plentiful, productive, and sometimes pesky creatures in this rodent-focused adventure.
- Clubhouse Overnighter: Saturday, October 18, 6:30 p.m. - Sunday, Oct. 19, 9:00 a.m.
- Explore the beauty of a desert fall night as we meet nocturnal animals, take a night hike, stargaze, and more. If exhibit animals cooperate, we'll spend the night in our Coati Kids Clubhouse (if not we can camp out in our classrooms,) and we'll breakfast with the beasts the next morning.
- Coati Kids Club 20th Birthday Party: Saturday, November 22, 1 - 4 p.m. on grounds and in the Warden Oasis Theater.
- The Coati Club is 20 this year! Help us celebrate with fun activities around the grounds plus a presentation and birthday cake at our theater.
More Events of Interest:
- Check out our Mineral Madness mineral sale and family fun fair, Saturday and Sunday, January 18-19, with kids activity stations 10-4 daily.
- Want to make a difference for the desert? Help stop the spread of buffelgrass. Join a group around Tucson for Beat Back Buffelgrass Day, Saturday, January 25. People from all over our community will be pulling buffelgrass from our neighborhoods, roads, washes and schools, and you can help! Learn more at http://www.buffelgrass.org.
- Plus, Coati Kids get discounts to our Summer Museum Explorers kids' camps. This year's camps will be from July 14-17 and July 21-24. More information and sign up online.