Coati Kids Club Special Events for 2015
Mark your calendars now for these fun events! And as always, we'll send you an invitation before each one.
- Rock Out!: Saturday, January 17, 10:00 a.m. to 11 a.m. Meet on the Front Entrance Patio.
- It's Mineral Madness weekend again, and we're planning a rockin' good time with our geology fun fair and mineral sale open both days from 10-4 p.m. Just for Coati Kids Club members, we'll do a behind-the-scenes tour of our Life on the Rocks exhibit and learn how our Design Department makes fake rocks and fossils look so real. Then you are free to visit the mineral activity stations around grounds at your pace, or test your skills on the 25 ft. Rock Climbing Tower (from 11 a.m.-3 p.m., additional fee required.)
- Pollination Party at Mission Garden: Saturday, March 7, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Visit Tucson's birthplace at the foot of A Mountain. Mission Garden is a living agricultural museum featuring Sonoran Desert-adapted fruit trees, native crops, and edible desert plants, and it'll be bursting with spring flowers. We'll explore the importance of pollination, taste some of its products, and travel back in time to Tucson's origins, finishing with a hike up A Mountain.
- Super Cycles: Saturday, April 4, 2:30 to 5 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- With Earth Day right around the corner, we often think of recycling as something we can do to live lightly on our planet. But the Earth is a master recycler, cycling energy, nitrogen, water, carbon, and more in never ending circles. Take a role in each of these cycles and meet animals that do too.
- Design by Nature: Saturday, May 23, 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- From airplane wings to Velcro, and so much more, people have long looked to natural systems and designs for solutions to complex problems. Discover some models from nature that have inspired human innovation, then create your own.
- Animal Yoga: Saturday, August 15, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- Have you ever watched a dog or cat stretch? Many yoga poses reflect those of animals and their normal behaviors. Stretch, balance, and strengthen your body as you learn yoga poses of different desert creatures from our own certified yoga instructor. Bring a yoga mat if you have one, but not a requirement. Then enjoy a Cool Summer Night and experience the museum grounds for Family Astro Night.
- All About Ants: Saturday, September 12, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- You may think humans are the most successful, productive social groups on the planet, but ants may have us beat! We'll uncover the fascinating world of these often overlooked, even disliked, creatures and find their real value in our desert home.
- Island Hopping: Saturday, October 3, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- From the "sky island" mountains that soar above a sea of desert to the actual desert islands in the Gulf of California, the Sonoran Desert is full of diverse islands home to unique forms of life. Take a cruise around our grounds and experience the diversity and fragility of these amazing ecosystems.
- Spectacular Seeds: Saturday, November 21, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Education Annex Classrooms 1 & 2 and on grounds.
- It's harvest time, and seeds are set to do their job of growing the next generation of plants. Investigate how and why seeds spread around and meet some desert "gardeners" who help with this process.
More Events of Interest:
- Want to make a difference for the desert? Help stop the spread of buffelgrass. Join a group around Tucson for Beat Back Buffelgrass Day, Saturday, January 24. People from all over our community will be pulling buffelgrass from our neighborhoods, roads, washes and schools, and you can help! Learn more at the Buffelgrass web site.
- Plus, Coati Kids get discounts to our Summer Museum Explorers kids' camps. This year's camps will be from June 8-12 and July 13-17. Check the camp web page for more information.