- How can I purchase or renew a membership?
There are several convenient ways to purchase or renew a membership;
- When you visit the Museum, go to any ticket window at the front gate. This is best if you are visiting the Museum soon!
- Give us a call in the Membership Office at (520) 883-1380, press 2.
- Or, join now on-line! (Note: it will take one to three weeks to receive your guest passes for on-line orders.)
- We'll send you a renewal form a month before your membership is up. You can renew by mail with a check or your credit card information. If you haven't received a notice from us, please call and let us know!
- Can I purchase membership as a gift for someone else?
- Yes, at the membership window, or by phone or on-line.
- How long is my membership good for?
- Memberships are active for one year from the date of purchase. (Example: if you purchase your membership on August 5, 2013 it will expire on August 31, 2014.)
- How many days does it take to process my membership?
Memberships purchased online, over the phone, and through the mail take approximately 5-7 business days to process. During the holiday season memberships may take longer to process. Additionally, the Museum's busiest time of the year is during the months of March and April and processing membership materials may take two or more weeks during this time as well.
If you purchase your membership on-site you will be able to pick up your guest passes and member packet immediately and your membership cards will be mailed to you at a later date.
- What can I put on my membership cards?
- One membership card has to be in the name of a primary member. For the Family level and up you are entitled to an extra membership card. This card can either be a second named member or you can have a "guest of" card. For example the membership could be for 'John Smith' and his second card could be 'Barbara Smith' or 'Guest of John Smith'. Please note that the "guest of" card option allows for one person's admission per visit only.
- Can a friend or family member use my membership card?
- No. Memberships are nontransferable and are valid only for the person (or persons) whose name(s) appears on the card. This is why you must show a photo ID when you enter The Desert Museum using your membership. As a nonprofit organization that relies heavily on membership and attendance for support, we appreciate your attention to this detail of your membership benefits.
- If the other named adult is unable to come with me, may I bring a guest in their place?
- If all the adults on your membership are named, only those adults may use the membership card.
- Is my membership gift tax-deductible?
Yes, a portion of your gift is tax-deductible. Current membership categories have the following tax-deductible portions:
Rate Tax deductible portion Individual $50 $21.00 Family $65 $21.50 Turquoise $175 $59.00 Copper $300 $184.00 Silver $600 $484.00 Gold $1200 $1040.50
- Can I give my guest passes away, or does the guest have to be with me?
- Guest passes may be given to anyone and they do not have to be with a member to use them.
- How do my guest passes work?
- A number of guest passes are given depending on the level you purchase. One guest pass is good for one person for one time use only. They have an expiration date of two years from the date of purchase. A member does not need to be present for their guest to use it.
- I've lost my guest passes, can I get them replaced?
- No. We are unable to track whether guest passes have been redeemed. Unfortunately, if guest passes are lost or stolen we are unable to re-issue them. Keep them safe!
- May I pick up my guest passes at the ticket window if I paid for my membership on-line?
- No. Guest passes are only mailed for internet orders. If you plan to visit the Museum in the next couple of weeks, please wait and pay for your membership at the Museum ticket window when you visit as your guest passes may not reach you within the two week period of time.
- How am I able to get my children or grandchildren in on my membership?
- Children and grandchildren seventeen years of age and younger are included on all memberships at the Family level or higher. Your children or grandchildren may accompany you or if your second membership card is the "guest of" option, they may accompany the person using the "guest of" membership card. Note that only the children and grandchildren of the Member listed on the active membership cards may be admitted. As a nonprofit organization that relies heavily on membership and attendance for support, we appreciate your attention to this detail of your membership benefits.
- How do I take advantage of the 'Invitation to VIP Behind-the-Scenes Tour' or the 'Private Reception with Executive Director?
Members at the following levels receive these special benefits — join us!
- Copper members are invited to participate in the 'VIP Behind-the-Scenes Tour'.
- Silver members are invited to participate in the 'VIP Behind-the-Scenes Tour', and the 'VIP Event with the Executive Director'
- Gold members are invited to participate in the 'VIP Behind-the-Scenes Tour', the 'VIP Event with the Executive Director', and the 'Private Reception with the Executive Director'.
- Do you reciprocate with other museums or zoos?
- Unfortunately we do not reciprocate.
- I've lost my membership card. How do I get into the museum?
- You may present your driver's license at the ticket window to gain access to the museum and a visitor services representative will fill out a card replacement form for you for a $3 fee per card. Our membership department will then re-issue your card(s) and you will receive them in the mail in 5-7 business days.
- Do you have student, senior or military discounts on memberships?
- Unfortunately we do not offer discounts to students, seniors or military personnel.
- What types of payment do you accept for memberships?
- We accept cash, checks, Visa and Mastercard.
- Can I apply my admission tickets to the cost of a membership?
- You are allowed to apply a total of two admission tickets to the cost of a membership. The tickets must be presented in person at our ticket window, or sent via mail to our membership office with the remaining balance for the price of membership. Tickets being applied may not be any older than 30 days.
- How often are your newsletters and Sonorensis published?
- Newsletters are published quarterly. Sonorensis is published once a year.
- What are your membership office hours?
- The membership office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. — 4:30 p.m. We are closed Saturday, Sunday and major holidays.
- Why don't you have a Life membership category?
- The Museum does have a Life membership category. Currently the Board of Trustees is the only entity that can award a Desert Museum Life membership. This honor is typically awarded to individuals that have reached 5,000 of volunteer time on behalf of the Museum or to individuals who have made immeasurable contributions to the Museum.
For Membership Acquisition: The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum occasionally exchanges member name and address information, for one-time-use-only, with designated non-profit organizations to add members. If you prefer not to participate in this exchange, please opt-out by contacting the Museum's Member & Donor Services Department at [email protected]
The Desert Museum reserves the right to make changes to this policy at its sole discretion. Such revisions may arise in response to changes in the law, policy, or other factors. We encourage you to periodically visit this page to review our most current policy.
Desert Museum membership fees and benefits are subject to change without notice.
Membership fees are non-refundable and memberships are non-transferable.