Teacher Idea Packet for Plant & Animal Partners
A Desert Discovery Class for Grades 1-2
(formerly Desert Gardeners)
Investigate pollination and seed dispersal to discover how plants and animals depend upon each other. Using puppets, identify basic flower parts and learn how seeds and fruits are produced. Identify the special adaptations of hummingbirds, butterflies, and other pollinators that help them gather nectar from specific flowers. Students will meet some live seed dispersers.
The following files are pdf files.Viewing them requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded free of charge. If you have any trouble downloading the files, please email email@example.com or call 520-883-3025.
Introduction includes the following:
- To the Teacher
- Arizona Academic Standards Correlation
- Activity Overview
- Bats, Bees, Birds, and Blossoms
- Flower Dissection
- Pollination Strategies Model Patterns:
- Traveling Seeds (student handouts)
- Creating a Nature Journal
- What's the Buzz on Native Bees?
- Bats: Need Nectar, Will Travel